Friday, November 5, 2010

On Dream Boards and My Search for the Perfect Laptop... or Notebook ('Cause I Hate Excess Baggage)

wrote this last March 15, 2010.

Even though a friend discouraged me many times those laptops are not really good investment (and he has the authority to say that because he is a licensed IT practitioner), I still wanted one. First reason: my old reliable computer needs to retire after serving me and the rest of the family for ten years. Second: possible business opportunities (but it doesn’t mean I’ll bring work at home).

But there was a problem: I simply couldn’t afford to buy one. Before going to a computer shop to feast my eyes on them, I would need to buy more important purchases (like the ever reliable Bench Alcogel that I have started to keep in my bag since the A H1N1 madness). So I promised myself that I would save to the hilt. But then, I just can’t buy. So somehow, I gave up wishing and hoping that I would have one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49512158@N00/3699040930

But despite the resigned feeling, I placed a picture of a laptop in my dream board. I wrote beside the picture: “I will have a laptop. It will help me communicate with my friends and create other sources of income.” With a prayer, I stared at it, just like the other things that I posted. I may not afford it now, but someday, I might.

Last month, my mother told me that she’ll join her high school reunion. One of her classmate-friends, who is my godmother, would also be joining. My godmother is now living in Sydney, Australia. Since I haven’t really met her ever since, I decided to write her a letter. When I was about to wrap up the letter, I just thought of kidding her of giving me a gift (even if my birthday falls on May). There’s nothing wrong in trying, I thought, so why not try it?

And so with courage, I wrote on the stationery paper: “Before I end, may I ask for a gift on my birthday? I’d like to have a notebook. It’s a small laptop. I’d like to start an online business with my brother and it will surely make us more connected to you.” With that, I prayed, signed the letter, folded it, and coursed it through my mother. I forgot about it after.

When my mother came back from her reunion, she happily said, “Your godmother was pleased about your letter. I don’t know what you wrote to her, but it seems there is a positive response. Contact her immediately; she might leave for Sydney tomorrow.”

I contacted her as instructed (through SMS and e-mail). She replied after three days to my e-mail: “Start looking for your notebook. How would you like the payment to be sent?”

I then remembered the laptop picture in my dream board. I caught myself staring at it for a long time. It felt unthinkable: are you about to be real?

A week later, I got an SMS from my godmother: “How’s your notebook search? What’s the easier way for you: bank account deposit or door-to-door delivery?” Okay, I told the laptop picture in my dream board. You are really just about to pop out of my board, literally!

I just felt so blessed. Finally, one of the things that I thought I will never have, it is going to come true!

But as the good news sank in, I know that the challenge has just begun. I’m not just talking about searching for the perfect laptop, or notebook. I know that just like my old reliable personal computer, I will have to be responsible in taking care of the new notebook. But more than that, I should be able to use it on what I intended it to be – an instrument for reconnecting to people that I love and for earning passive income. That I really need to focus on.

It’s not because I will not be true to the words that I promised my godmother. Maybe I’m just scared because I know that if I still don’t put my acts together even after the notebook’s arrival, then I’ll blow my chances of a new life. If I don’t do well – if I fail – in this unchartered territory due to fear and complacency, then I’m really a wacko.

For now, I’m just waiting for my godmother to send her promised gift. The search is already on for the perfect laptop, or notebook (I have even asked the help of my other friend to help me on my search). Soon, my search for the perfect notebook will end.

But my search for a new life has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment