Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Checking in like a Rock Star

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62274271@N00/2492945306
(wrote this last March 16, 2010)

I got the privileged to have stayed in luxurious and fancy hotels. Nope, I’m not a businessman. I also don’t have the money to stay even for a night. I am just a lowly convention and seminar secretariat member every now and then; a humble worker that needs to be tired and exhausted at the end of the day just to get paid. But a worker I may seem, at least I still got to check in hotels.

For others, hotels are home-away-from-home. For me, it’s a second house where I get to live (and party) like a rock star. Not because I loathe staying in our home (it’s hands down forever heaven). A hotel is one of my favorite places if I wanted to get away from it all – even if the purpose of why I was there is the one thing that I’d like to get away from.

Why not? I got to experience the following:

1.    The nicest bed sheets on earth – and they are arranged when I get back to the room after a day’s work.
2.    Cool interiors and designs – even the paintings and the furnitures.
3.    “Invisible staff” that makes the bed (refer to number 1) after waking up and cleans the bathroom (I don’t get to see them do it)
4.    Cable television – well, I’m not ashamed to tell the whole world that we don’t subscribe to it back home. It doesn’t matter if there are things to do the next day. Once I see HBO, CNN, AXN, MTV, Cartoon Network, and Star Movies, I’m the queen of the remote control!
5.    Bath tubs – I know this is bad, but seeing this means forgetting everything, even the reality of scarcity in water.
6.    Cool view – I love the night lights and the dawn of the new day views. They are stress relievers and breathtaking.
7.    Free wi-fi – this was just an added feature recently in hotels. There soon came a “sibling rivalry” between wi-fi and cable tv. Good thing I was trained to mult-task.
8.    Sumptuous food – my father always say “never to forget my stomach” despite the hard day’s work. I take pictures of them sometimes before eating them.
9.    Free newspapers
10.    I check in with my friends – for free

One of my most memorable hotel stays I had was when I was in Grand Men Seng Hotel in Davao. Not all reserved hotel rooms were occupied during a convention. In those cases, it’s considered paid. Imagine my luck when I stayed alone in a room for two nights! I felt so happy despite being alone and having a to-go fast food as dinner.

I’m not a businessman. I’m just a lowly secretariat member every now and then, who gets to stay in hotels. But who says I can’t check in like a rock star?

No comments:

Post a Comment