Tuesday, August 10, 2010

CONFESSIONS OF A BEGINNING RUNNER

wrote this last July 10, 2010

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64015205@N00/46324600
Rubber shoes, check. Socks, check. T-shirts, check. Singlet, check. Bib with my race number and pins, check. Towel, check. MP3 player to keep me going, check.

I am ready for my first ever three-kilometer run tomorrow. I have prepared myself physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I never intended to join such runs. I know that people do jog or run (or in my case, brisk walk), but I never imagined myself doing it – and eventually joining.

Two of my nurse friends have been encouraging me to run since last summer. But I was scared to start doing it because I’m not sure if I’m physically fit to run. I have to admit: I had occasional dreams of running (either running away or running after something or someone), but it doesn’t mean I’m good. I told them I’d rather do aerobics (I dance, and I think I’m good) than run. But come to think of it, the last time I did aerobics was three years ago. And I must admit (again), gym aerobics classes are expensive – not quite a good way of motivation. I asked myself: does it mean I will wait for me for afford aerobics classes before I make myself healthy? I carefully thought about it, and so I made an appointment with an internist.

“Unless you have a heart problem (your hyperthyroidism is well-controlled), I don’t see any reason for you not to start. Start slowly. If you want to join fun runs, preparation must be in place,” the internist said. That was the OK signal I never thought I’d get (I was expecting she would give tests). That week, I started right away. I told myself that I’m not going to let my hyperthyroidism (or any other whatevers) get in the way of me being healthy.

I started my 15-minute walk after my alarm clock sang “Don’t Stop Believing” (Glee version); it’s like telling me that it’s time. I remember the day: May 24, 2010. It marked our 20th stay in our current residence in Cavite. Well, I want to stay alive for 20 more years, so I got up and started walking in our village. I just ditched the idea that there are only two weeks ‘til the summer ends: I have to do this, or never do it ever.
It’s like angels were sent down to really make me hold on to my commitment: there were at least five people who were also walking around. I felt the relief: hey, I’m not alone in this! I was able to make three rounds on my first day for fifteen minutes. Not bad, I guess.

15 minutes turned into 20 the next week, then 25, then 30. After a month and a week, I’m now doing 40 minutes with jogging. I have also extended my distance to the village near us.
And now, I’ll be joining my first road race.

I do not expect to be the first to finish; I won’t even mind the time that I might be recording. What I know is that ever since I started, I know I only have one enemy – myself. And I believe that if I am able to start this – just like the life projects that I had – I know I’d be able to be a better me.

I don’t know what’s going to happen after I reach the end of my first 3K run. If I do well at this, maybe I could do this as a pastime. Maybe I’d go from 3K to 5K, then 10K, or even 21K (geesh). Anything can happen. For now, I am happy for the support that my family and friends have given me. I’m happy for the physical results that it has given me (I felt healthier than ever). I’m happy for the new things that I do because I still can.

As long as I’m wearing the right shoes, right attitude and running with the right people, I’d get to the finish line somehow.

See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment