Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Day Running and Music Collided

wrote this last July 11, 2010

I woke up at 3:30 am. I knew I would pay the price later for sleeping only for four hours. But when my alarm clock started to sing DON’T STOP BELIEVING (Glee version), I totally forgot about it. I got up from the bed and started my preparation. This is my first official run – nothing is going to let me down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32645377@N06/4083813727
I got to the meeting place at exactly 5:00 am. While waiting, I wore my singlet and tied my hair. I saw the dawn breaking. I heard the song in my head: it’s going to be a BEAUTIFUL DAY (U2).

I stood at the middle of the three-kilometer category crowd; everybody were all pumped up and were ready to run. I started to hear TELEPHONE (Lady Gaga and Beyonce) in my IPod. Nianne whole-heartedly lent it to me for the run as her sign of support. Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one… PAK! The air gun shot filled the air. It was the signal everyone was waiting for: It is time. As I started my race, Lady Gaga sang “Sorry I cannot hear you, I’m kinda busy.”

There were people running, there were people walking, and there were people doing both. But one thing was for sure – there were smiles on their faces. I looked at them and smiled. By then, WANNA BE STARTIN’ SOMETHING (Michael Jackson) has filled my head. I started to run again. Who won’t when you’ll start to hear “Mamase mamasa mamakusa?”

BEAT IT (Michael Jackson). I’m now here – I am starting something new for myself. At the middle of the race, I think I have started to conquer the enemy that was me. I used to dream of me running (running away or towards something or someone); but today, I think it’s a BEAUTIFUL NIGHTMARE (Beyonce).

At the mark of the last one kilometer of my run, PYRAMID (Charice) was playing. Do I see myself joining races that will pass through mountains and terrains? Nah, forget it. I still have one kilometer to go. I could negotiate with myself about that in the future.

Journey played the whole DON’T STOP BELIEVING in my background as I took my last few meters. Then, I saw the finish line. I made it! MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (OST)? Nah! Whoever said that I can’t do it should self-destruct in ten seconds.

“And since I made it here, I can make it anywhere,” Jay-Z said in EMPIRE STATE OF MIND (Jay-Z and Alicia Keys). I heard this as I cooled down and lined up to get water and my loot bag). I finished the three-kilometer race in twenty-five minutes (not bad according to Mommy Jess, who finally got to sign me up for my first run). I felt I could have chosen to run the five-kilometer category instead. But I had no regrets. At least I found out that I did a good preparation and I know now that I can do it. Now, I’m looking forward to do better (and run another course) next time.

I ripped several CDs to put it in my borrowed IPod (I hope to buy my own next time). I had fifty five songs to perk me up for the whole run; I was surprised to have only heard a few (I listened to some during our cool down, while lucky people were getting Blackberrys during the raffle). But one thing is for sure: the day running and music collided, I was there. I made it happen.

And it felt good.

--
The author joined her first-ever official run at the Run4Life: The Lifeline Foundation Fun Run at Alabang. She registered for the 3K category and finished it in 28 minutes and 16 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment