Friday, December 17, 2010

After the Storm

wrote this last July 14, 2010

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11599314@N00/2581774487
I was awake since eleven o’ clock in the evening due to the angry wind. I knew there was a typhoon. But like many that night, I was also caught unaware of the typhoon’s sudden change in direction.

I have experienced a lot of typhoons in my life; I guess I have been through the worst. But this one I could single out because of one thing: I was unprepared of what was about to come.

The typhoon’s name was Basyang. In the Philippine folklore, Basyang was an old yet kind woman who’s fond of telling fantasy stories to children so that they would never cease to learn the values in life.

I think the Basyang that I experienced also taught me a lesson during its wrath: one, I must be prepared for anything, for anything can happen. Two, God will never abandon us. I have never experienced such calm during a typhoon’s fury while praying.

When I woke up the morning after the wrath, I saw the damage that Basyang did. I immediately rolled up my sleeves for a major clean up.

Another storm has passed; I’m a new person again.

No comments:

Post a Comment