Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blessed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14111752@N07/3006420502

My mother has pneumonia.

After almost a week of going to and from the hospital for consultations and tests, that was the diagnosis.

But her family (that's us) is still grateful.

We were worried of these possible diagnoses: tuberculosis, thyroid problems, or a heart irregularity.

All she got is pneumonia.

Don't get me wrong. I see her pain as she coughs; she holds her upper chest as if to lessen the pain. She's also into antibiotics. As a daughter, it's like stabbing you inch by inch.

But I still see everything as a blessing.

It's a blessing because she was diagnosed early. She went to the doctor immediately. It's a blessing because she's responding well to medicines. It's a blessing because her doctors are great. It's a blessing because she has a strong family behind her. It’s a blessing that she will be taken cared of.

In life, we have almost given up to the reality that it is hard to look for blessings in trials. It's not easy; I think in some instances, it WILL never be easy. Even I took several months to accept that having a maintenance medicine for my hyperthyroid is something that I have to live with in the meantime (and eventually conquering any fear of my condition, thanks to running). Truly, it is hard to see a rainbow in dark clouds.

But what made me see the beauty of it was this: my family has gone through a lot of difficulties and trials. Problems came to pass; yet we are still standing. We love each other and we care for each other. We have God with us. That’s what kept us going – and it will be the same formula that we’ll still be using.

What was more surprising was that I never had an inch of worry when I found out about my mother’s pneumonia. I was confident about all the facts: it was detected very early, medicines are given, and it’s curable. The first words that I thought of were “Thank you, God.” I was a revelation to myself: I guess my faith matured an inch.

My mother has us for a family. Together, we have a faith as strong as our love for each other. We are blessed – and we will continue to share blessings.

All she got is pneumonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment