Thursday, January 20, 2011

Realizations of a Newbie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40645538@N00/3382448853
wrote this last October 30, 2010.

Time, as everybody would say, flies fast. In a nick of time, I realized that I have been in my new job for nine months.

I already passed my probationary period – proof of this were the many baptism of fires that I had (sent to Ilocos for a seminar, hosted programs twice, and participated in a statistics quiz) and my completion of the new employee’s training program.

I have seen and heard and knew a lot of things in my job – name it. The good and the bad, the ugly and the uglier, the nicest and the kindest, and the toughest and the weakest.

But for sure, I have not yet seen the best and the worst.

So after nine months, what have been my realizations?

I realized that people will never learn good ways if they have been used to the bad.

There are people who really do not work literally – and they get paid.

One of the things that I learned in my former colleague still stands true to this day: keep things to yourself; be at your guard.

People will say the nicest things when you talk to them. But they tell otherwise when you’re not around.

Officials can be stupid – and the more they get stupid because they do not listen to their subordinates.

I could get up at five in the morning, be on the road by 6 am, so that I could go home by four in the afternoon – and not be really that stressed about it.

Some people are really thoughtful and nice – but they will also tease you to somebody you don’t know, only because you don’t talk much.

I realized that I hate people who react immediately to simple things – because they don’t have much to do every day.

I realized that no matter how good I am in making things done, I have to consciously let go of the things that normally do before to get things done – blame the protocols.

I can’t change anything in my work – unless it falls under or any of the following: an office order, administrative order, department order, or memorandum circular. Oh, be careful with the amendments every now and then; you have to know them.

It is so dim-witted to continue living in the Paper World despite the existence of technology – and giving up on it.

Saturdays off are the best thing that ever happened to me – again.

Kids will roam around the office every now and then – I was once like that.

People will get all the loans in the world just to have money – because either it’s for the kids or for another debt that is still being paid.

People will bring you down – you have to keep yourself up.

You know the saying “Absence makes the heart grow fonder”? – True only for the first few weeks. Soon, you’ll realize you’re not thinking about him or her. Voila – you have officially moved on.

Maturity doesn’t happen overnight.

I realized that I am good – but I don’t have to shout it out to the whole world.

I realized I always have a choice – to make every day great, good, or fine.

I realized that I won’t be a newbie forever. Soon, I’ll be staying for a year, maybe two or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment